Paved shoulders provide numerous safety benefits for motorists and pedestrians. Installing or widening paved shoulders has the following benefits:
- Provides a stable surface off of the roadway for pedestrians to use when sidewalks cannot be provided.
- Reduces numerous crash types including the following:
- Head on crashes (15%–75% reported reduction)
- Sideswipe crashes (15%–41%)
- Fixed object crashes (29%–49%)
- Pedestrian (walking along roadway) crashes (71%)
- Improves roadway drainage
- Increases effective turning radii at intersections
- Reduces shoulder maintenance requirements
- Provides emergency stopping space for broken-down vehicles
- Provides space for maintenance operations and snow storage
- Provides space for variable message signs
- Provides an increased level of comfort for bicyclists
As a asphalt contractor in New Jersey, Parking Lot Services LLC, offer several parking lot services including sidewalk repair.